Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Teeny tiny paintings

#8; Acrylic and wax pastel on Bingo card

Over the last two years I have become increasingly focused on working from observation in the studio. It's something I never thought I'd say.

Last year while visiting an exhibition of paintings by artist, Julian Hatton, at the elizabeth harris gallery in NYC, I was lucky enough to hear him talk about his work, which is bold and abstract yet small in scale. Hatton spent many years working en plein air in Brooklyn, of all places, and he talked about how the experience prepared him for his journey into abstraction.

I'm hoping there's a little bit of the same preparation underway for me right now. This feels, not like a departure from my earlier work, but a foundation for later work to come.

I'm making, among other things, a series of small acrylic paintings of flowers on bingo cards.

View the whole project here.

No comments: