Friday, April 1, 2016

Recent Abstractions

18 x 19"; acrylic on paper; 2016
 I've unearthed some of the unresolved large scale paintings that I made in 2015; and I've been ripping them up and reworking them. It's exciting to rethink the organization of the composition at this stage in the process because the paintings already have an established color scheme. The collection of colors in each painting evolves organically. And when I return to this scheme after a year has elapsed, I can look at it anew and see different possibilities for its resolution. This piece was shifted from its dominant dark green to a fresh clean cotton-candyesque pink. That juxtaposition of the new bright color on top of a muddier olive felt playful and allowed me to experiment further with the structure of the composition.

No comments: